The definition of this type of care has changed within the past several years. It used to be considered as having a routine examination or procedure performed even through there were no particular problems present. Some people used to call this type of care a "check up" at the dentist, optometrist, gynecologist etc. Chiropractors used to routinely schedule their patients for a treatment on a once per month basis. The treatment that was delivered was the same treatment that they had always received in order to "feel good".
Wellness Care today is totally different and means "optimum health". This care begins by the patient taking responsibility for their own health. Each person has unique needs in order to experience optimal well being, some need to correct diet and weight issues while others need to become more physically fit and exercise more. Some people have diseases which are present in their family genetics such as heart disease, diabetes or aging disorders and other people want to prevent or retard the aging process as much as possible.
There is no "quick fix" for these patients and they require a personally directed and unique approach to the goals that they desire to attain. Once the patient has a consultation and expresses their goals, a program is outlined to help them reach their desired result in the quickest manner possible. The doctor at Alternative Medicine Pain Management will review six steps that are unique for each person:
- Education - You need to know the "why" before the "how". The doctor will explain the need for each test that is recommended whether the test
is for chemistry, function or nutrition - Attitude is everything.
- If the joints and muscles of the body are not operating in the full normal range of motion or if the muscles have become soft from disuse, optimal energy and vitality cannot be experienced. Many of these issues are able to be addressed by specific training or exercise that can be taught and performed in a home program. Everyone does not need to have a gym membership.
- Diet - This means eating well, not less, and finding the correct balance for you.
- Vitamins - In June 2002, the American Medical Association finally came right out and said that "…everyone needs extra nutritional supplement."
This has more significance due to many prescription medications producing loss of specific vitamin combinations. Many people have elected to remove certain foods from their diet yet have not considered
the need to supplement that person for the missing nutrients. It has become virtually impossible for the patient to act as their own doctor and keep abreast of the rapidly changing nutritional industry.
Taking too much of a good thing can be just as damaging as not taking enough!
- Play well - Do something that you enjoy especially if it requires body movement. Make healthy choices!! There is not activity worse for you than smoking
or chewing tabacco but the consumption of excess food and alcoholic or effervescent beverages can rapidly become the second worst activity that you choose.
- Don't give up! Our staff will be your coach and closely monitor your progress. Individual attention to your specific wants and needs will produce a very
effective program. Trying to follow programs that are made for the general population will never be successful to meet your specific requirements.
All examinations, laboratory tests and treatments related to Wellness Care is usually not covered by your insurance plan because it is considered elective and not medically necessary for treatment of illness or disease.
The motto of Alternative Medicine Pain Management is
You will never be truly well until you stop doing what made you sick.